Newman Drive widening and improvements to Kalgan Drive intersection
Part of a Federal black spot initiative, the project for widening Newman Drive and improvements to the Kalgan Drive / Welsh Drive intersection with associated street light upgrade, was identified as a vital road safety project in the Shire of East Pilbara Strategic Community Plan 2013-2022. This $1.3m project was carried out on a major arterial road servicing the Newman Township between September 2015 and January 2016.
An open traffic site with modified road layouts and a requirement to maintain two-way traffic flow at all times, this project presented significant challenges with pedestrian and traffic management.
The work included:
- advanced traffic management coordination
- precise site preparation
- removal and disposal of existing asphalt and kerbing
- installation of extensive stormwater drainage
- detailed preparation of the sub base and base
- relocation and installation of 6 existing and 6 new light poles with associated cabling
- road profiling
- installation of new asphalt
- line marking, signage, concrete footpath and new kerbing
New pavement and culverts were constructed over approximately 195m on Kalgan Drive and 470m on Newman Drive, Newman WA, 6753. All works were completed on time, to Main Road specifications.